Friday, May 11, 2012


So I'm sitting in a local coffee/tea shop here, in town.  In comes this sweet little boy, his attentive mother holding his hand.

I often see them walking in the mornings with their dog beside the stroller, held in tow with a leash.

Sweetness in it's purest form.

I was reminded yet again this morning, (as I overheard her talking to her precious boy), of just how quickly our babies grow up.   But more than that, how much pressure we put on ourselves as mom's to "mother" these precious gifts to the point of stress.

This well meaning, trying so hard to do EVERYTHING right mom, sitting just tables from mine, reminds me so much of me when our peeps were little.  


I took my mothering seriously.  So seriously.  I thought that if I did certain things, talked a certain way, taught them certain things... all would be well in their world.  Then, and in their future.

I loved those peeps more then my next breath.  Like most moms.  Like the mom in the coffee shop.

Looking back, I know now that  I put too much pressure on myself.

I know now that I didn't need to try so hard to be a good mom.

I already was.

You see that handsome young man in the picture above?  :)

Well that is our baby boy.  He is our third son.  He of course, holds a special place in my and Blue Eyes' heart.


He has just asked the love of his life to marry him.

Wait a minute!  Didn't he just turn 4 last week?!!!   :(

Tears come to this mothers eyes when I even look at these photos.  Not because I'm not happy for him.

I love his fiancee' and know she is the one for him.

Tears are more  for myself I suppose.

The reality hits me once again that our peeps are growing up, and I have to continue letting go.

Which brings me back to the mom in the coffee shop.

She is trying so hard.  I can tell.  I was her.

I wish I could tell her to not try so hard.

Let things go.

Have more fun.

Trust that you are a good mom.

In the blink of your eye he will be almost twenty years old.

He will outgrow his stroller.

He will outgrow you.

And if he does... know in the deepest part of your mothers heart, that you have been a good mom.

You have done your job.

And P.S... walk through a puddle or two today.

And, Happy Mothers Day  :)

Hugs From My Heart

1 comment: