Saturday, April 2, 2011

As summer comes near, (I just know it will get here), and my life somehow gets simpler, (I'm thinking flip-flops and shorts, no more winter boots and jackets),I am realizing more and more the need to do whatever I have to and make sure my weekends are for fun and relaxing...


My weeks are like everyone's... busy, giving to others, doing what needs to be done... and I am grateful.
But I sometimes let myself and have for my lifetime, get overwhelmed with what I think "should" and "needs" to get done.  Being a stay at home mum, it's usually stuff around the house to be cleaned, organized, just something.  It is never ending.


I was brought up with a mum who was always doing something because there was always something that needed to be done.  Seven kids... go figure.  I learned by example.  How wonderful in so many ways my mother was to show me how to be a "house wife/mother".  I treasure and receive her example as a gift with hopes that I too have taught my precious daughter what was taught me.


I think she's getting it. Now I would never know from going into her bedroom. Lets not get crazy here. But I see it in other ways. Ways that are so important. Her bedroom being a yucky mess... well that's temporary. It's 15. It's expected. I see her future in how she treats people. Who she is when she is with them. How she works at her job at the local coffee shop. How her coworkers treat and enjoy her. How she treats and loves Timothy... her boyfriend. And I can say I am joyful, encouraged, and so very proud of her.


                  (Cousins who could pass for siblings)

Like all of our children, she is who she has always been since she was a little girl. And one thing she is, and knows how to do, is have fun. She enjoys her free time with her friends and those she loves. She looks forward to, and is good at, doing everything silly, foolish, and just knows how to stop and enjoy life.


My days of  "teaching" Katelyn are pretty much done.  I am here for her as a reminder of what she already knows. She is learning to make her own decisions, her own mistakes, her own "bed" so to speak.  And its not always the way I wish or want her too make it, but she gets it done.  Literally and figuratively.  And she has to sleep in it, and deal with it, however messy it ends up being at the end of the day.
I am here to listen, always listen... to love and encourage.

And to learn from her.  I will learn how to have fun.  Weekends for this mum, wife, friend, sister, are going to be fun.  Whatever "fun" is to me.  And I will be thankful for a precious daughter who has taught me just that.


I love you sweet baby girl.


Hugs From My Heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment